Its that time of year again. Yes the time where socializing with your extended family becomes a ,reluctant, mandatory activity. Where you must endure the horror that is jokes from crackers and where the only things on TV are seasonal films and shows that will be forgotten to the ages of time once the year ends. So dear reader, it is therefore my job to inform you of some purchase choices for one of the, considered, upsides to all this festive merriment. Take into consideration that most things in the tech market aren’t cheap so for the sake of your bank balance I will aim not to exceed £100 in the process of my recommendations and of course try to justify the price if it seems somewhat outrageous, although in today’s market we consider most things to be overpriced. Anyway, let us proceed. Continue reading
I’ve wrote about Paper Beagle before because I love the company and I hope you do too. It’s a company with heart and soul that helps the beautiful bees all while making us eco-friendly. They do some gorgeous wedding favours but I’m going to show you what you can buy to make someones Christmas that extra bit special.
These bracelets are gorgeous. They’re called ‘Honey Bee Mine’ and would be great for any ladies in your life. The colours are reminiscent of honey and the bee charm reminds you on who your gift is helping. The bracelet itself looks quite dainty but the charm makes it special. All the materials used in the bracelet, and the gift box, are responsibly sourced and it (like all the Paper Beagle products are created in the UK.) An added bonus is that looking at the bee will quite possibly remind you of an English Summer. The bracelet can be purchased here.
Something a bit more Christmassy with a modern twist is the hessian Christmas wreath. I think these are a great idea as they’re a modern take on the traditional, look cool and stylish and because they’re made from hessian can be disposed of responsibly. Why not buy one to put up in the living room rather than on the outside door? You can choose between red or green ribbon to fit in with your decor. Excellent! The wreath is also available in yarn for something a tad different. Want more info on the hessian wreath? Click here.
We have the wreath sorted so what about some personalised stockings. These are again made from hessian and look very different than the normal red ones. You can have everyone asking where you got the lovely stockings from. They’re a small size for small gifts and would look great with the kids initials or for the grown-ups. The rustic charm will have you dragging them out every year. They’re available here.
This next gift is something that every woman (or man) with a head of hair frequently use… hairpins! These ones are very quirky and are made from brass so the colour will stand out in most hair colours. The ‘bee hive’ hairpin is part of the wedding favours collection but would make a great stocking filler and let’s face it they’ll most definitely get used. They also come to you already in a gift box so what’s not to love? Go take a look here.
Every year you always have those people that you want/ need to buy a little bit of something for but never know what to get. Maybe you don’t want it to be too expensive but you want to show your appreciation. I would recommend the Grow Your Own Christmas Tree Kit This is a present that’s a little unusual. Basically it’s a small gift box with seeds for a Christmas Tree in it. Give your gift, let them plant it and watch as their very own Christmas tree grows. It’s practically a present that will last a lifetime with the right care.
So we’ve talked about gifts but what about wrapping them? Paper Beagle has the solution and a very cute solution it is! This Candy Cane Wrapping Paper Set includes one sheet of paper, one snowflake printed tag, a length of jute string and an edible candy cane. Your presents will definitely stand out under the tree wrapped in this! The paper, tag and jute can be recycled after and the candy cane eaten. True christmas spirit!
Has an extra special treat we’ve been given an exclusive offer for all of you UK buyers! If you purchase something from Paper Beagle you’ll also receive a set of 6 gift tags for free… These ones to be exact. Just add them to your basket, along with your other purchases, and enter the code RUDOLPH on the page. There’s no minimum spend just the requirement that you’ll love your purchase, and I’m sure you will.
All of Paper Beagle’s products are available to buy from Not On The High Street and to keep up to date you can follow them on Twitter, @paperbeagleUK.
NB If the promotional code doesn’t work for some reason please contact either myself or Paper Beagle and we’ll sort it out asap. x
Ok, This is a Christmas list of things you probably want… but you can’t have, either because it doesn’t exist yet or it is really expensive or it is extremely unlikely- near impossible to get. Anyone has anything else you think should be on this list, this is just a list off the top of my head, comment below!
1. A Transporter/Teleport- I grew up with every series of Star Trek (Andsecretly loved it… or possibly not as secret as I thought) But those long walks to University, School or Work (I rarely worked outside of the house so thinking this on the way to work hardly happened). But I just want to be able to say, “Beam me up Scotty.” Or “Cat to-Where ever I want to go-” And be there. Yes I know weight problems are an issue today but think about the pollution cut down! Also you can just teleport to a gym!
2. Any FULLY WORKING Gadget from Doctor Who- Doctor Who, Another thing I grew up with and I am obsessed with. I have the 11th/Matt Smith Sonic Screw Driver, although it is a bit difficult to put new batteries in, IT IS TOTALLY WORTH IT! If only it
unlocked things… Unless I’m missing something and every lock on Earth is Deadlock sealed. Also I really want a TARDIS… or just to see one of the real ones to hug it 🙂 I will also hug a Dalek too. I could really do with some real psychic paper too…
3. A Time Machine- This is for if the TARDIS is really not possible. For those who don’t know the difference *Puts Geek hat on* The TARDIS can travel in time and space. A time machine if you take the movie “Time Machine,” Seriously, the time machine won’t actually move… It mentions it on an episode of The Big Bang Theory, so if your not up for watching and trying to understand the movie, I recommend (UK fans only, sorry others) HMV are currently selling The Big Bang Theory box set seasons 1-5 for £30
4. An evening/dinner with a celebrity of your choice, dead or alive. Dead it is extremely unlikely, unless you are or know a good necromancer… If you do… I’m sort of interested actually if anyone does… Give us a message if you are or know a proper one. Back to the topic- Natalie wants dinner with Clark Gable- the handsome actor who plays the character Rhett Butler, in Gone With The Wind, if you have 4 hours to spare… We all know there is normally plenty of time on Boxing Day when you are suffering with the stomach ache of someone cooking too much on Christmas day, I suggest watching Gone With The Wind. Like Natalie you might get some satisfaction of Clark Gable saying, “Frankly My Dear I Don’t Give A Damn.” My Choices for going out to dinner with a celebrity would be… Judy Garland, If you have watched one of her movies, which also star Gene Kelly *Fan scream*, The Pirate you will understand this. I’m one of her Chicken-Hawks! Seen as though it is Christmas another movie to put on your list- Meet Me In St. Louis (I will be writing a review on that nearer Christmas). Also living Stars I would go to dinner with- Ben Barnes ^.^ . Robert Pattinson, right before some of you groan. I sort of feel sorry for him, I know celebrities sign up for all that what comes with fame, but from what I’ve seen of Twilight fans they seem… really serious. I’m touching the subjects of any celebrities personal business/gossip, in the end that’s their business, I still believe they are normal people, just with a good talent. My main reason for wanting to meet Robert Pattinson is because- Hufflepuff business- I want to give him a potato.
5. A trip to space- Ok this is only possible if you are either 1. Seriously rich or 2. Best Buds with Richard Branson.
6. A Trip to Narnia- If someone asks me what I’m doing and I’m not doing anything really interesting I normally reply, “I’m looking for Narnia.” Who wouldn’t want to go there? Yes Narnia was the series of films that introduced me to Ben Barnes.
7. Kim Possible box set- I’ve only just found out Disney have never done this! Seriously? People would rather let their kids rewatch Hannah Montana? Proper role model people! Teach girls how to kick butt! Then us girls can earn more respect!
8. Part in a film of your choice- Natalie’s suggestion this one, she want’s a small part in the Original Nosferatu, I think I’d join her. Unless there was an option to be in the Vampire Kisses (by Ellen Schreiber) movie if it ever get’s made. If you ever read the Vampire Kisses series, you’ll have to fight me to get Alexander. Also I wouldn’t mind a part in any of the X-Men films or a part in Singin’ in the Rain.
9. That Microwave on Fifth Element- If you haven’t watched that movie yet…
10. To get through Christmas without spending a penny- This is impossible unless you live on a deserted island or you’re parent/guardians/career still deem you to be an age where you shouldn’t start buying your own presents/cards for people.
Or there is always the option of a lump of coal or a satsuma
To be honest, I actually could do with a brick for Christmas this year to attach to some of my art supplies… It’s hard to loose a brick and I would paint it a pretty colour.